This online course is delivered using a blended learning pathway via our digital learning platform and is ideal for those looking to add to their professional knowledge of the Language of SAS by incorporating PROC SQL in their code.
There are mini quizzes and comprehensive exercises throughout to help assess and reinforce your learning with the opportunity to join an end of day Q&A session(s) with the instructor.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
On day 1 we invite you to join a short online welcome to meet your instructor, introduce you to our Digital Learning platform and get you started on the eLearning modules of this course.
You will need 2 hours to complete the 3 eLearning modules with additional time for exercises. We ask you to complete these modules before joining us for an online Masterclass in the afternoon of day 1.
This is followed by 2 x 4 hour live online classes to complete your learning.
In addition, you will also need to set aside time to complete the Hands-On exercises.
Each day finishes with an open Q&A session with the instructor if you need any further support.
WHAT YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW...
To get the most out of this course, it is expected that you should have attended the Fundamentals - the Language of SAS course (or comparable course of study). If not, we would advise that you have at least six months experience of developing code in the language of SAS, including:
- Building DATA and PROC steps
- Character, Numeric and Date functions
- KEEP and DROP to select variables
- IF and WHERE statements to select observations
- Conditional Processing with IF-THEN-ELSE
- Combining Data Tables vertically and horizontally
- Summarising Data with the FREQ, MEANS and TABULATE procedures.
A prior understanding of SQL is not required.
For the hands-on practice activities in the course, you will need access to an environment that runs the programming Language of SAS. On our courses, we signpost you to some of the free tools available.
Check out the options below to review system requirements:
WHAT YOU'LL BE TAUGHT...
Introduction to SQL Language Elements (eLearning)
Learning Objective: Explain how to implement SQL within the language of SAS.
- Origins of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Implementing SQL within the Language of SAS
- SQL Language Elements
Selecting COLUMNS & ROWS (eLearning)
Learning Objective: Describe how to subset data to select columns and rows.
- Selecting Columns
- The DESCRIBE and FEEDBACK options
- Create Columns
- The CASE Expression
- Selecting Rows
- Special WHERE Operators
- CALCULATED Rows
Summarising Data (eLearning)
Learning Objective: Explain how to summarise and classify data.
- Producing Summary Statistics
- Columns created by a query
- Classifying Data – GROUP BY
- Summary Statistics by GroupSelecting Summarised Data - HAVING
Report Presentation (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Describe ways to improve the presentation of data.
- Formats and Labels
- Ordering Data
- Summarising Data
Sub Queries (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Describe the different types of sub-queries used in the programming Language of SAS.
- Non-Correlated Subquery
- Correlated Subquery
- Substituting Values
- Returning Multiple Values
Creating Data Tables (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Explain PROC-SQL techniques used to create a Data Table.
- Create a Data Table form the Results of a Query
- Create a Data Table from a Definition
- Create a Data View from the Results of a Query
- Data Views versus Data Tables
Joining Data Tables Horizontally (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Explain PROC-SQL techniques used to join Data Tables horizontally.
- Inner Joins
- Outer Joins
- Full Outer Joins
- The COALESCE Statement
- Table Aliases
- In-Line Views
Joining Data Tables Vertically (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Explain the PRCO SQL techniques used to join Data Tables vertically.
- Methods of Combing Data
- Except Rule
- Intersect Rule
- Union Rule
- Outer-Union Rule
Managing Tables (Live Online Class)
Learning Objective: Describe how to manage tables using PROC SQL.
- Add, Update and Delete data rows
- Add, Modify and Delete data columns
- Delete a Table, View or Index
- Explain what an Index is
- Create and use an Index